We are seeking an ambitious and nice engineering leader who shares our passion for building a great software company. As a 100% remote organization, this is a unique opportunity to define how a software team should communicate, have fun, and produce results without being confined to an office. You will join a team of managers who are excited about improving best practices, teaching developers, and delivering a great product. Our goal is to continue our fast pace of growth while creating the best possible work environment for engineers to be happy, productive, and grow professionally.
- Be the people manager for several engineers of varying skill levels, teaching them to communicate effectively, write excellent code, and test it well through code reviews, performance reviews, and regular one-on-one feedback.
- Assign work, help developers overcome roadblocks, and oversee testing to ship high-quality software on schedule.
- Develop software hands-on at all points in the stack, walking others through their most difficult tasks and pushing projects to completion by working on areas where you have expertise.
- Balance product work with eliminating technical debt, establishing processes, and adjusting responsibilities to maximize your team's efficiency and plan for the future.
- Work closely with product managers to establish our product roadmap. Specify technical solutions to customer needs and define our code architecture.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and grow a team of software developers.
- Passion for teaching - You prioritize helping others to become autonomous above stepping in and doing things yourself.
- Strong writer who can clearly explain technical issues to a non-technical audience.
- Exceptionally meticulous and organized - With several direct reports working on different projects and no physical office space, you will have to juggle many responsibilities at once.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent work experience.
Benefits and Perks
- Working from home makes it easier to focus on results and develop professionally while spending less time commuting.
- 401(k) plan, home internet reimbursement, and $3,000 / year in free products plus employee discount for friends and family.
- pays 100% of the premium for full health, vision and dental insurance coverage for you and your family in a high-quality Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO plan.
- Flexible work schedule and unlimited vacation policy (work hard and take time when you need it).
- We'll pay for any computer and home office equipment (within reason) that will help you work better.
The Interview Process
Following the take-home test, you will have phone calls with a developer you will be managing, a non-technical product manager, and both founders of the company. The goal of these interviews is to develop a mutual understanding of what it would be like to work together and assess strengths and weaknesses not captured by earlier parts of the interview process. While we only plan to hire one candidate for this position, we will make an offer as early as possible after the final interview.
's mission is to make custom products easy for everyone. We strive to do this by providing superior software and excellent customer service. is a 100% employee-owned, profitable, bootstrapped company with about 50 employees that has rapidly grown from $0 to $25 million in annual revenue since 2013. We sell an expanding variety of photo and home products, including photo blankets, photo books, canvases, pillows, and more. has appeared more than a dozen times on ABC's \"Good Morning America\" and three times on \"The View.\" We've also appeared multiple times on the \"TODAY Show,\" along with mentions in BuzzFeed, Mashable, AARP: The Magazine, the Associated Press, and more. We are seeking ambitious, nice individuals to join us in our quest to bring great custom products to the world.
Our development team is set up to empower individuals. The less time you spend dealing with cumbersome processes and inefficient systems, the more time you have to solve problems and make an impact. We believe in staying at the forefront of best practices so that we can focus on work that matters. We pass almost all of The Joel Test (we only fix high-priority bugs before writing new code, but hey, we're a start-up), follow the best practices for continuous deployment (anything that is merged following a pull request goes straight to production), and have implemented a declarative unidirectional data flow system (like Flux, but on steroids) for our most complex logic. Difficult projects with extensive cascading data dependencies take days instead of months, allowing us to provide best-in-class design tools and iterate more quickly than our competitors with much larger development teams. Learn more about developing software at at .
We're 100% remote
is a 100% remote company, with employees working together in states across the country. Last year, our remote work culture was profiled in a case study by the Harvard Business School (we are the first all-remote company they profiled). The entire company meets together in person twice a year in Ann Arbor, Michigan (all expenses paid) to get to know each other and work on strategy.
The Interview Process
We are committed to providing a transparent interview process and making offers to qualified people who will be a great fit for our team. We've found that the best way to identify qualified candidates is to ask people to demonstrate their skills directly.
All interviews are conducted over the phone. Here's what to expect from each step of the interview process:
Application questionnaire - Your answers to the questions in this application matter! The team lead screens all applications and reads every answer carefully.
Screening interview (30 min to 1 hour) - You will speak with an engineer who will ask you to write some code that is typical of the work we do on a daily basis. You will also have the opportunity to ask any questions you have about the team and the company.
Take-home assignment - This replaces an on-site interview. You will be given a 3 to 4 hour take-home assignment reflective of actual work in this position, which you can work on at your reasonable convenience. The assignment will be reviewed by a senior engineer.
Second interview (1 hour) - General interview with the team lead.
Third interview (1 hour) - General interview with another senior engineer on the team.
Fourth interview (1 hour) - You will speak with Kevin Borders, co-founder and co-CEO.
Fifth interview (1 hour) - You will speak with Joe Golden, co-founder and co-CEO.
We move candidates through the interview process as expeditiously as possible.
Associated topics: chief program officer, cpo, manage, manager, management, monitor, product manager, project manager, relationship manager, task