Working at the world's fourth largest retailer mixes the best of many worlds: cutting-edge technologies meet real business needs meets real customers who spend billions of dollars at our stores in North America.What is it like to work at The Home Depot QuoteCenter?
We were a startup once upon a time and much of our startup culture still exists: the agility of a small operation, the impact that comes with being a leader in our industry. Our engineers use the latest open source technologies to build new products that facilitate 9-figure project sales at The Home Depot. We invest proactively in our people. We sponsor developer events, including .Net Fringe, NodePDX and PADNUG, and our engineers headline workshops to teach Portland-area engineers how we use cutting-edge technology to solve real world problems. The mission of the QuoteCenter product team is to radically reimagine the shopping experience at Home Depot utilizing the latest web technologies and data tools.What problem will you be solving in this role?
Define and implement application performance metrics to anticipate, avert and facilitate application reliability improvements.Job Responsibilities
- Manage reliability risks through metrics
- Define SLAs and audit performance
- Monitor systems and applications for waste
- Automate tasks that are repetitive or prone to human error
- Support CI/CD process maturity including prominent testing strategy
- Define and manage incident response
- Facilitate post-incident reviews
What tools do we use?
- Strong work ethic and sense of ownership
- Detailed understanding of systems, applications, and infrastructure
- Insatiable curiosity and desire to solve difficult problems
- Customer-service mindset
- Effective troubleshooting skills
- Cloud automation experience
- History with distributed, high-traffic applications
- No platform zealots allowed
How will we interview for this role?
- Operating systems (Windows/Linux)
- Systems scripting (Powershell, Bash)
- Cloud Platforms/Providers (Google Cloud, Rackspace)
- Infrastructure deployment (Atlas, Terraform, Packer, Vault)
- Monitoring solutions (New Relic, Elastic Beats)
- Open to other things. This is neither exhaustive, nor exclusive of the technologies we use.
Aptitude is our first and most important desired attribute. We need problem-solvers who make a living as coders. We need engineers who can learn new tools and languages because our technology stack has a habit of evolving quickly in response to real business needs. Our technology stack is a toolbox from which we draw different tools to solve problems. Sometimes we add new tools to that toolbox. You won't find us giving random code tests or drilling you on a specific language. You can expect to be asked questions that will help us determine your ability to solve problems. We interview candidates with 2-3 interviewers so we can understand what your work style might be like in our cross-functional team environment.NATURE AND SCOPE
Position reports to IT Manager
No direct reportsENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTSEnvironment:
Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Must be eighteen years of age or older.
Must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
The knowledge, skills and abilities typically acquired through the completion of a bachelor's degree program or equivalent degree in a field of study related to the job.
Years of Relevant Work Experience:
Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience building and supporting large-scale, business critical systems
- Experience with any of the following technologies: WebSphere, WCS, JBoss, Tomcat, Apache, NginX, Varnish, Citrix Netscalers
- Experience with any of the following tools: Splunk, Dynatrace, Puppet, Chef
- Deep Unix/Linux knowledge
- Mastery of at least one scripting language including PERL, Ruby, Python, ShellKnowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
This is a highly technical role. A successful candidate will possess a wide breadth of web operations knowledge and be capable of working in large and diverse operations team.
Associated topics: chief program officer, cpo, manage, manager, management, monitor, product manager, project manager, relationship manager, task