Bachelor's of Science or Technology degree in Systems, Electrical, Mechanical, Software Engineering or a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum 8 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience to meet managerial expectations.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an exciting opportunity in Pittsfield, Massachusetts supporting the engineering computing assets and lab infrastructures for our Strategic Mission Systems and Surface Ship business areas. We are seeking an individual to join our growing team to provide engineering leadership and to further advance the cutting-edge technology and services that support some of our nation's core defense/intelligence services and systems.
You will provide leadership for a team of information technology, network and lab support engineers, as well as engage with the team in tasking across our programs. You will be engaged in infrastructure support planning, implementation of services and maintenance of computing assets and equipment, and you will provide strategic technology direction in support of engineering and the programs we support.
The selected candidate will apply GDMS and Customer processes and practices to provide technical leadership and mentoring to an engineering team, will have excellent oral and written communications skills, support frequent communications with the GDMS engineering and program management, and have the ability to team with multiple internal and external stakeholders. The selected candidate will foster team collaboration and mentoring among team members. The selected candidate will show initiative on assignments and exercise independent judgment.
In this role as Engineering Technical Manager for Infrastructure, Network and Labs, you will:
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Oversee and manage the operational aspects of ongoing projects and serves as liaison between project management and planning, project team, and line management
- Assess project issues and develop resolutions to meet productivity, quality, and client-satisfaction goals and objectives
- Develop mechanisms for monitoring project progress and for intervention and problem solving with project managers, line managers, clients and other stakeholders
- Lead development of strategic projects or large tasks by applying engineering and organizational knowledge and expertise to achieve technical goals
- Provide technical input to Engineering Management in linking project IP strategy to business road-maps
- Plan and execute small to moderate sized projects or groups of projects
- Direct, coordinate, and exercise functional authority for planning, organization, control, integration, and completion of engineering project within area of assigned responsibility
- Participate in development of program strategies and teaming strategies, development of executable project plans on proposals, and continuous process improvement efforts
- Actively uncover technical and organizational risks and ensure they are included in risk mitigation plans
- Provide guidance to subordinates within the latitude of established company policies
- Recommend changes to policies and establishes procedures that affect immediate organization(s)
- Provide technical analysis in data network planning, engineering and design
- Provide analysis for implementation techniques and tools for the most efficient solution to network and lab problems
- Maintain technical expertise in all areas of network and computer hardware and software interconnection and interfacing, such as routers, multiplexers, hubs, bridges and gateways
- Coordinate third-party maintenance for network equipment and troubleshoot problems with department users and department network administrators
- Develop uniform operation procedures
- Evaluate and report on new network technologies to enhance capabilities of the network
- Responsible for the successful, secure and safe operation, maintenance and usage of the Closed Areas facilities (labs) and equipment.
- Enforce security policies and procedures that pertain to Closed Areas as defined by the NISPOM document, DSS Representative and the GD-MS Information System Security Manager.
- Manage the team that supervises the Closed Areas (Labs) whose responsibilities include:
- Supporting personnel requesting lab access with required documentation, forms and briefings.
- Briefing and enforcing visitor sponsors' or first time lab user's sponsors' of lab access requirements.
- Briefing and enforcing security procedures concerning media generation, accountability and destruction.
- Briefing and enforcing security procedures concerning system access and operations.
- Briefing and enforcing security procedures concerning safe access and storage procedures.
- Performing required physical and IS security audits and maintain logs.
- Supporting annual internal GDMS and Federal DSS Audit.
- Performing necessary maintenance on tactical and support Government Furnished Equipment (GFE). Documenting failed GFE equipment and requesting replacement parts as required. Supporting GFE property identification, tagging and auditing.
- Performing or requesting necessary maintenance on facility (GD-MS) equipment.
- Supporting Software Development and System Integration groups.
- Assisting establishing priorities for use of the labs on a 24/7 basis and resolving conflicts of needs among lab users. Once needs and priorities are established, generate and publish a weekly schedule.
- Performing Safety Area Monitor requirements
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent team building and people skills and ability to successfully interact with team members in engineering, business, program management, finance, contracts, and senior and executive management
- Strong leadership skills
- Applies or develops highly advanced technologies, principles, theories and concepts
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to think creatively
- Ability to multi-task
- Strong motivational skills
- Self-directed/ self-starting ability
- Works collaboratively with resources external to the functional or program team
- Strong ability to recruit, manage and retain people
- Financial acumen, preferably EVMS knowledge and experience
- Project planning and resource management experience
- Knowledgeable of GDMS processes and process improvement efforts
- Strong mentoring and coaching skills
- Develops and provides innovative and creative solutions to a variety of problems of medium to high scope and complexity
- Leads and contributes to completion of milestones associated with specific projects
- Must have experience with a wide variety of operating systems including Linux/Unix, Windows and Windows Server
- Hands-on experience with backup services, ghosting and end user support
- Prior experience in a technical leadership role
- Comp-TIA Linux+, Network+ and A+ certified
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
Learn more about life in the Berkshires by viewing this video.
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran
Associated topics: chief program officer, cpo, manage, manager, management, monitor, product manager, project manager, relationship manager, task