Program/Project Manager Job Summary:
The IT Program/Project Manager position is accountable for understanding, planning, executing, and supporting one or more programs. The IT Program/Project Manager is responsible for ensuring the work in the program is clearly defined and shaped into executable projects, that the projects are estimated and resourced efficiently, and will also perform hands-on project management for delivery. This role will also participate in maturing the IT PMO standards and best practices.
- Provide steady leadership in the face of uncertainty, change, and aggressive deadlines common to a rapidly growing company with an evolving business model.
- Develop resourcing strategies in conjunction with the Portfolio Director and Resource Managers, to ensure optimum support for projects and for the day-to-day operational activities
- Proactively set performance expectations and help project managers and subordinates manage expectations of delivery and requirements, yielding consistent results
- Responsible for managing and reporting on the program budget(s), and change requests.
- Ensure that the scope of the projects within the program align with program goals and objectives and are executed in order of business priorities
- Ensures program objectives are in alignment with strategic direction
- Manage program-level risks and interdependencies
- Promote collaboration and coordination across broad categories of stakeholders
- Lead cross-functional meetings and foster teamwork; drive escalation and resolution of issues
- Address escalated resourcing issues with project manager and resource manager, as needed
- Support and coach project managers within the program
- Provide expertise in planning, execution, and leadership of program, projects, and initiatives
- Provide program reporting and status to senior management
- Responsible for delivery of program and project objectives and specified success criteria as defined in the program/project charter.
- Translates the vision of program into executable projects that are both feasible and shaped for success
- Shepard s program and project requests through the necessary governing bodies for budgetary or stage gate approvals
- Maintain excellent relationships with all levels of the matrix organization
- Provides program level liaison from the business regarding program roadmap, needs and plans:
- Fiscal year and adhoc demand management for the program ensuring clarity of vision and scope, high level estimations and resource requirements including budget, adherence and management through approval requirements, priority identification for the program and timely communication of work and project and program timing.
- Work, project and program escalation management ensuring proper escalation methods are followed and all communication is timely and coordinated with the LOB or Functional Group leaders as well as key stakeholders.
- Timely and frequent communication of program health, tradeoffs, financial management and resource management to Portfolio Director and IT Sponsor and LOB or FG leaders ensuring standard reporting and communication methods are followed.
- Ensure solutions adhere to the IT strategy and where misaligned manage and communicate to establish alignment
- Provide ongoing communication and insight into program
- Responsible for on-time, on-budget and within scope execution of, projects and programs. Provides project management over-sight ensuring project execution is meeting the intended vision, scope and budget.
- Collaborates with resource managers to resolve issues where resources are not adequately providing the intended role for work, program and project execution.
- Ensures program and project change requests are executed as necessary and follow the proper approval requirements.
- Responsible for support and maintenance of existing LOB or Functional Group technology solutions within the portfolio. This includes ensuring proper support plans are proactively established and managing the escalation process when production technology solutions within the portfolio are not available as intended.
- Uses strategic/systems thinking competencies to help project teams understand connections and relationships for planning and managing within a program or project.
- Collaborates with the Portfolio Director and Director of Program and project management to establish standard methods where beneficial for, program management, risk management, communications, and reporting.
- Collaborates with all other PMO Portfolio Directors or Program Managers to gain a high level understanding of all work, programs and projects currently being executed or in queue for execution to determine synergies, interdependencies and dependencies.
- Assists with issue resolution, and roadblock removal.
- Ensures proper risk management is being executed at the program and project levels and that the risk strategy is being clearly communicated. Ensures program/project objectives are met and aligned with PMO operational and solution development lifecycle processes.
- Responsible for providing effective leadership to Project Managers ensuring visibility into the programs clear vision, scope and work definition and ongoing alignment to the intended vision, scope, budget and timelines.
- Assists project managers in issues where decisions of portfolio or program priority, tradeoffs or risks occur.
- Collaborates with the Director of Program and project management for the continuous improvement of program/project management processes to ensure lean and consistent process execution and adherence to the SDLC.
- Regular program communications to Sr. Director of the PMO, Portfolio Directors, LOB or Functional Group leaders, Executive sponsors, and IT execution team
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or computer related discipline), Accounting, or Business Administration or equivalent experience.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills
- Expert knowledge of financial analysis model development and internal accounting controls
- Microsoft project or similar project management software
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS TO JOB
- Demonstrated ability to leverage strong communication skills to lead a department, function or group of individuals
- Proven experience in developing and implementing effective program/project management policies & procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to attract, lead, motivate, and retain a team.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- 8+ years IT project and/or program management experience
- 5 years of progressive leadership experience
- Dynamics CRM implementation a plus
- Demonstrated ability to manage a group of employees within a department or function
- Demonstrated ability to support, effect, and implement change
- Demonstrated ability to impact and influence a diverse population
- Demonstrated ability to manage in a high matrix organization
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills
- PMI Certification and/or strong knowledge of Project Management Body of Knowledge
- Microsoft PPM
- Experience in managing technology for an audit, tax, or financial practice
Associated topics: chief program officer, cpo, manage, manager, management, monitor, product manager, project manager, relationship manager, task