- Understanding mission, vision, goals, user groups, business processes and workflows, and how the internal system supports the business units.
- Lead and manage multiple medium to large internal system project initiatives forward in a timely, efficient and effective manner to meet the agency's strategic goals for the system as prioritized and established by the system's product management framework.
- Ensures that projects have scope defined in Project Charter/Framing documents, and project team utilizes current systems development life cycle (SDLC) and governance policies and procedures;
- Coordinates, drives and monitors activities of all parties involved to ensure the project is completed on time, within budget, and meets quality standards;
- Creates, reviews and maintains project management plans, charters, schedules, communication matrixes, risk/issue logs and lessons learned documentation at a minimum;
- Ensures users and project team members roles and responsibilities on the project are defined;
- Tracks projects using current PMO tools and reports data to team and management;
- Communicates project status to appropriate management and stakeholders and addresses cost/schedule/quality issues in a timely manner;
- Effectively leverage in-house and vendor development teams and business resources to achieve high quality, timely product releases properly aligned to the organization's strategy and end user needs;
- Ensure software requirements, architecture, and processes are fully documented throughout the projects;
- Work effectively with assigned resources and vendors to ensure completion of projects on time and on budget;
- Proactively manage project risks and issues identify and mitigate throughout project lifescycle;
- Manage and maintain project plans that communicate tasks, milestones, status updates, and resource allocation;
- Utilizes lessons learned to continually improve the governance and Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) policies and procedures;
- Prepares for and facilitates meetings;
- Ensures the project delivery of software meets with stakeholder approval and quality assurance audits;
- Mentors and provides guidance to lower level Project Managers;
- May train staff on governance policies or PM procedures;
- May participate or lead vendor procurements;
- Creates and maintains strong relationships across all levels of the organization; maintaining a team atmosphere and work environment to promote project work productivity;
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Advanced knowledge and experience of Microsoft products: Outlook, SharePoint, Word, Excel, Project, and Visio;
- Thorough knowledge and experience of PMBOK project management practices including cost management, benefit analysis, risk management, timeline estimation, resource management and change control;
- Strong understanding and experience of SDLC and IT governance methodologies, tools and approaches to successful project implementations; including Agile and Waterfall software development methodologies and project management principles.
- Ability to lead, motivate, encourage and influence others to perform;
- Ability to analyze, produce solutions and solve project issues;
- Ability to build and maintain relationships across business groups;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Direct Reports:
Reports to the IT Program Manager. Employee will receive guidance from senior-level Business and Technical Manager(s) and may provide guidance and assistance to lower-level Project Manager(s).
Difficulty of Work:
Employee uses considerable judgment in selecting the most pertinent guidelines to follow. Work is broad in scope and requires in-depth analysis of multiple variables (including requirements, specifications, standards, policies, regulations, and procedures, etc) to fit various circumstances of a complex enterprise wide system.
Employee works closely with higher-level staff and/or management to outline general objectives and boundaries that employee will follow to meet the requirements of the agency. Unusual problems or deviations from guidelines or practice are discussed with manager at the discretion of the employee. Work is reviewed for attainment of objectives and compliance with policy and practice.
Personal Work Relationships:
Works with Executive Management, Information Technology Management, Division Management, Systems Users and Agency Personnel, Consultants, Vendors, Representatives from other Agencies, IOT, and any other individual or group involved with the project. The project manager is responsible for monitoring project progress and communicating that progress to management. The project manager consults and is involved in cooperative and non-cooperative problem solving with the project team and other individuals.
- Bachelor s Degree or equivalent experience
- PMP Certification preferred
- 5-10 years of project management experience using both agile and waterfall methodologies
- Finance experience preferred
Associated topics: chief program officer, cpo, manage, manager, management, monitor, product manager, project manager, relationship manager, task